What is Arts and Health?
Arts and Health is the practice of using the arts to improve health and wellbeing, as well as enhancing health care experiences for patients and their support networks. The arts can play a significant role in promoting the health and wellbeing of patients, staff, clients and visitors to health services and within the broader community.
South East Arts has developed a regional strategy to guide our work in this important new area. Our vision is to build stronger, healthier and happier communities, supported by strong networks, resources and opportunities for participation and learning.
There’s a real link between the artistic and cultural environment and peoples’ health.
Jenny Symons, Chair
Southern NSW Local Health District
Arts and Health Regional Strategy South East Arts’ region covers the three Local Government Areas of Bega Valley, Eurobodalla and Snowy Monaro located within the Southern NSW Local Health District.
In response to the 2016 release of the NSW Government’s Health and The Arts Framework, South East Arts has developed a regional strategy to:
- Support the development of arts and health approaches and initiatives in health care settings across the region
- Facilitate connections and alliances between the arts and cultural community and health services
- Build the capacity of arts and health practitioners to make meaningful contributions to both artistic practice and health and wellbeing goals.
South East Arts will work with the Health Service Managers of the region on a range of policy and operational supports in the areas of:
- Governance — support and participate in the regional governance framework for arts and health
- Promotion and Advocacy — raise the profile of arts and health across the region
- Resources and information exchange — build the knowledge, resource and social capital of the arts and health community across the region
- Training and capacity building — develop the practice and partnership capacity of the creative sector and health professional working in the field of arts and health
- Partnerships and funding — build the funding base and resource development opportunities for arts and health approaches in the region
South East Arts has identified regional projects that will align with a range of state and locally determined health priorities, focus on the social determinants of health and target specific priority populations. These are:
- The cultural integrity, health and wellbeing of Aboriginal communities
- Mental health, wellbeing and resilience amongst young people
- Creative ageing for older people
For more information contact Gabrielle Powell Ph 02 64920711